Cumming Nature Center (Ontario)
- New York State Atlas & Gazetteer (Delorme Mapping Company) page(s): 58
- Other Maps:
- How to get there:
- From Rochester take Route 390 South to Routes 5&20. Head
east on Routes 5&20 to 15A in Lima. Turn right onto 15A to 20A in
Hemlock. Turn left onto 20A to East Lake Road in Honeoye. Turn right
onto East Lake Road and then follow the Cumming Nature Center signs.
- The Center has 6 miles of thematic trails though forest
wetlands and plantations and a beaver pond with observation platform.
The trails are easy walking and lined with information about nature and
the center. In winter, the nature center opens for cross-country skiing
on groomed and patrolled trails. Also, snowshoes and skis are available
for rent. A nice picnic area is available outside on the grounds, and
for winter or bad weather days tables are set up near the fire place.
Also, a snack shop and gift shop are in the center with something for
everyone. Inside a learn and play area is set up for young children
complete with a bird and turtle costume to enjoy. Displays for all and a
bird watching area add to a great day. In the spring the maple sugar
house opens for about 3 weekends. Check with the Center for those dates.
All in all this is a great place to spend a day. There is a charge for
- Area Literature:
- Available at the Nature Center
- Nature Center at Site:
- Area Administrator Information:
- Nature Center (716) 374-6160 or the Rochester Museum & Science Center (716) 271-4320
- Limits to Access:
- Hours: Wed.-Sun. 9-5. Closed November 14 to December 28. No pets allowed.
- Type of Path:
- Boardwalk, dirt and gravel
- Types of Nature Study Activity:
- Birding, animal observation, wildflower and plant study, and geology
- Natural Features:
- Bog, forest and ponds